Monday, March 28, 2011

Unleash the Talons!

My son is a face scratcher and has been since the day he was born.  I'm looking forward to the day that he doesn't have to wear mittens but, for now, his talons are only unleashed at selective times during the day.  He has good control of his hands and arms now, reaching for toys and pulling them into his mouth but when he starts to get a bit cross or sleepy he claws at his face in a frightening manner.  One time he drew blood and I almost cried, it looked sore but he didn't appear bothered at all.  He won't let me near his nails to cut them so I have to clip them when he's asleep....I hate doing it as it requires so much concentration and I'd feel awful if I ever hurt him.  So far so good although I should cut them more often.
Here he is the day he was born and the only day he's ever gone without mittens:
I had assumed they were just normal and he'd been born with them but no, he did this to himself!

Well, today is round 2 of his injections and I'm not looking forward to it.  It's not so much the jabs themselves, (he really only cried for a few seconds last time), but the worry about any side-effects like high temperature or just being off-colour.  I know I'll worry about him for at least a week afterwards but I guess that's all part of becoming a parent.
I wonder if I'll be allowed to have a shower today.....just one of the small luxuries I took for granted before having a baby!!

2 comments:

  1. Your baby is why scratch mitts were invented!! Hope the jabs didn't cause too much distress x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol, he sure is! Just wish they made them in funkier colours/designs....maybe I should make some.
    Injections were horrid, worse for me than Jamie I think though....he took a break from screaming to smile at the nurses..then cried again!

    ReplyDelete